EU Regulation on electronic identification and trust services for electronic transactions in the internal market and repealing Directive 1999/93/EC (hereinafter: eIDAS Regulation)
The directive 1999/93/EC valid up to 30 June 2016 was restricted to the area of electronic signatures. Up to now, the area of electronic identification has not been regulated under union law; there was also a lack of mutual acknowledgement of the nationally established electronic identification methods up to now.
With the EU Regulation on electronic identification and trust services for electronic transactions in the internal market and repealing Directive 1999/93/EC (hereinafter: eIDAS Regulation) that is now directly applicable in the Member States, a joint basis for a secure electronic interaction between citizens, companies and public administrations has been created. The effectiveness of public sector and private online services, of electronic business transactions and of electronic trade in the Union is thus increased.
The eIDAS Regulation thus primarily addresses two groups of topics:
- Trust services: These are electronic signatures, electronic seals, electronic time stamps, delivery of electronic registered letters, website authentication and validation and storage services. These trust services are provided by trust service providers. In the process, the eIDAS Regulation regu-lates in particular the liability and supervision over these trust service providers.
- Electronic identification: With the eIDAS Regulation, no new (harmonised) European "eID" is in-troduced; instead, conditions are defined under which the Member States have to recognise electronic means of identification for natural persons and legal entities that are subject to a notified electronic identification systems of another Member State.
The conducting of the directly applicable eIDAS Regulation required an adjustment of the domestic laws that currently regulate the topics of electronic identification (E-GovG) and/or electronic signatures (SigG), whereby a new signature and trust service law (SVG) was issued in place of the SigG that has been rescinded.
Link to EUR-LEX
Commission Implementing Regulation - eID
- arrangements for cooperation - eID: Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2015/296 OJ L 53 from 25.2.2015
- Interoperability: Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2015/1501 OJ L 235 from 9.9.2015
- assurance levels: Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2015/1501 OJ L 235 from 9.9.2015
- notification: Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2015/1984 OJ L 289 from 5.11.2015
Durchführungsrechtsakte – Vertrauensdienste
- EU trust mark for qualified trust services: Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2015/806 OJ L 128 from 23.5.2015
- technical specifications and formats relating to trusted lists: Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2015/1505 OJ L from 9.9.2015
- formats of advanced electronic signatures: Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2015/1506 OJ L 235 from 9.9.2015