eGovernment Model Application
How should an online procedure be built?
Long-term eGovernment solutions must be built using a modular structure, so that old elements can be replaced by newer ones, as necessary. Changes to the scope or requirements, whether of an organisational, technical or legal nature, can be responded to quickly and cost effectively.
Most eGovernment procedures follow the same model. The processes for applying for proof of residency, a certificate from the Register of Convictions or a home building grant are basically all the same.
An electronic application form is created directly on the citizen’s monitor, then it is automatically signed and sent to the public authority. If fees apply, they are paid electronically. If the application is approved, the document is affixed with an official signature and sent by the public authority to the recipient electronically. This also applies for documents that require proof of delivery (RSa, RSb). Procedures contain the same basic recurring elements throughout: an electronic form, electronic signature, electronic payment, official signature from the public authority and electronic delivery.
To help make the move towards eGovernment easier for public authorities, a model procedure was developed. This model demonstrates how individual eGovernment components can be integrated into procedures in their entirety.
The most important components in every electronic procedure
- Filling out application forms on the Web. (For proof of residency, the online form can be found at the virtual HELP portal, HELP.gv.at).
- In the second step, the form is filled out directly on the PC.
- The applicant is uniquely identified and authenticated via mobile phone signature (citizen card function on the mobile phone) or card-based citizen card (e.g. on the e-card).
- The completed form and the respective fees are displayed.
- The completed form is signed by entering the signature PIN on the card-based citizen card or the TAN code with the mobile telephone (mobile phone signature).
- Next, the method of payment (Paybox, Internet banking, etc.) is selected and the transfer carried out electronically (see also the chapter "Electronic Payment").
- In the following “back-office process”, the processing of the application by the administration is done by ELAK and/or the specialist application. The electronic completion of the file is sent by means of electronic delivery.
- The applicant is notified by e-mail when a document (e.g. the proof of residency) is ready to be picked up in the electronic inbox.
- When picking up the document, the user is authenticated using his or her card-based citizen card or mobile phone signature on the mobile phone. An administratively signed confirmation is displayed that can be printed, saved or forwarded.